- What’s in the Box?
- Pioneer DMH-1500NEX: First Overview
- Pioneer DMH-1500NEX: Installation and Setup
- Key Features Of DMH-1500NEX
- Compatible Accessories
- Pioneer DMH-1500 NEX Tips and Tricks
- Who Should Pioneer DMH-1500NEX?
- Who Should not buy Pioneer DMH-1500NEX?
- Bottom Line
The Pioneer DMH-1500NEX offers large, responsive touchscreen display with support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as Bluetooth connection and iDataLink Maestro compatibility. With its reliable performance and good build quality, the DMH-1500NEX is an ideal choice for those looking for a budget-friendly car stereo upgrade.
- Premium Looking Design gives glossy look to your vehicle
- Hands-free Calling quality is great due to the good built-in quality microphone.
- Bluetooth connects quickly also allows you to connect two phones at the same time
- Take few seconds to boot-up
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto works with mostly all iPhone and Android phones
- Spotify and Pandora work wirelessly
- Voice control via Siri Eyes Free works without any lag
- Large number of customization option
- Resistive Touchscreen Display
- Does not support HD video quality
- Menu get changed automatically depending upon whether you are using CarPlay or playing music which is annoying
- No built-in HD Radio but it is compatible with Sirius XM
- The Weblink is quite slow
So if you’re interested in learning more about the Pioneer DMH-1500nex, keep reading!
What’s in the Box?
The box consists of all the basic things that you needed to install in your Car. It contains:
- 7″ Multimedia Receiver
- Wiring Harness for the installation
- USB Cable extension having a size of 58 inch
- 6 Pan Head ISO Screws
- 6 Countersunk ISO Screws
- Microphone with 13″ Cable having 2.5 mm Connector ends
- User Manual with a Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Click Here to check other box content
This head unit lacks a CD/DVD player, but those who want this feature in their car should check the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX, in which you will get a CD/DVD player with all most similar features of the DMH-1500NEX.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX: First Overview
The first thing we noticed about the Pioneer DMH-1500nex was the overall design. The faceplate is a sleek black, with a large 7-inch touchscreen display. The picture quality was good and we didn’t experience any skipping or buffering issues. The buttons are all located on the bottom side of the unit, and they are large and easy to press.
The touch is resistive, which helps to use the screen smoothly or without applying any pressure. The display itself is good however, it does not come with antiglare which makes it tough to use in Sunlight.
While driving, the videos can not be played due to the company restriction, however, there are some ways in which you can play video while moving. You can use this Parking brake bypass to play videos while driving, it works great with this media receiver.
You can even change the clock design and the brightness of the display day and night. In short, the display is good for daily use.
Excellent Sound Quality
The overall sound quality was very good. We were impressed with the bass response and the overall clarity of the audio.
The Pioneer DMH-1500nex comes with a few different EQ presets, as well as a 13-band graphic equalizer. This allows you to fine-tune the sound to your liking.
There is also a built-in time alignment feature that ensures that the sound is optimized for your specific vehicle.
The Pioneer DMH-1500nex has a few different input and output options. For inputs, there is a USB port, an aux input, and a DVD player. For outputs, there are four preamp outputs, as well as a subwoofer output.
You can also enjoy wireless music in Pandora and Spotify via built-in Bluetooth; even you can pair two phones at a time with Bluetooth. This head unit support many audio formats are supported, such as FLAC, MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV.
The Pioneer DMH-1500nex also comes with a wireless remote control. This is handy for making adjustments to the unit without taking your eyes off the road.
Crystal Clear Bluetooth Calling
Hands-free calling is quite common in all the latest double din whether it might be expensive or cheap. But when it comes to calling while driving in the open vehicle, the call quality gets sucks. But thanks to Pioneer, they really focus on every point. Most of the verified customer says that their call quality is clear and sharp.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX: Installation and Setup
Overall, the installation process for the Pioneer DMH-1500nex is pretty straightforward and easy. In order to install this unit in your car, you will need a dash kit, a wiring harness, an antenna adapter (if required), and some simple tools. Additionally, if you plan on adding an amp, you will need to find another way to trigger the remote, as both the antenna amp and the parking brake bypass require use of the single remote wire.
We found that YouTube had a number of helpful videos showing how to take apart the dash for most vehicles, which made the installation process that much easier. And while you may need to get a little creative if you’re installing this unit in a vehicle that has an antenna amp or are using a parking brake bypass, overall we found the process to be relatively simple and straightforward.
Update: Pioneer DMH-1500NEX has been Listed on Top 10 Best Pioneer Car Stereos For 2023!
Key Features Of DMH-1500NEX
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
As we already mentioned above, it does support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but the thing we do not mention above is that this unit does not support wireless CarPlay. But if you have iPhone or Android, you can use all the features and apps and other kinds of stuff directly in the large touchscreen stereo just by connecting your phone with the receiver via USB cable and can take the advantage of CarPlay in your vehicle. Apps like Apple Maps, or Google Maps, Waze for viewing maps.
The main problem we found while using Google maps and Apple Maps, sometimes it allows four fingers to drag and sometimes not. Don’t know the exact reason. The other bad we found while using the map is, whenever you get a call the navigation menu disappears. You have to reconnect the device with the receiver to use navigation again.
Although all other head units at this price do not support wireless android auto or apple carplay. But there is an option to stream music wirelessly via Pandora or Spotify with its built-in Bluetooth which can support up to two devices at a time. Also, there is no default option for Mirror Link, but you can use it just by connecting your phone with the receiver through AV input via HDMI to RCA Converter and Lightning to AV Adapter.
Fast and Accurate GPS Navigation
If you’re looking for a car stereo with a built-in navigation system, the Pioneer DMH-1500nex has you covered. The unit comes with free lifetime maps of the United States and Canada.
The navigation system was very accurate in our tests and we didn’t have any trouble finding our way around. The mapping software is also very user-friendly and easy to use.
However, you need to buy a Navigation antenna separately. Those who don’t want to buy an external Navigation module can use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to view maps via Google Map, Waze, or Apple Maps.
Voice recognition also works great in this head unit. With Siri Eyes Free and Google Assistant, you can make calls, send voice messages, play music, and many more.
The DMH 1500NEX supports WebLink which helps you to listen to music and watch videos on YouTube and many other and apps wirelessly via Wi-Fi.
However, WebLink works only when you have downloaded it on your phone and have connected your phone with the receiver via Wi-Fi. Then, You can use all the popular apps like Youtube, Yelp, Weather, Spotify on your head unit.
- Large 7” LCD Touch Display
- Resolution- WVGA (800 x 480)
- Size: 11 x 9.5 x 6 inches (LxWxH)
- LED Backlight
- 13 Band adjustable EQ
- 4 x 50 watts power output
- 4 x 14 watts RMS
- Hands-Free profile
- Direct USB Control for iPhone
- Built-in Radio with 18 FM and 6 AM presets
- 6 Channel preamp output
- Front USB input
- FLAC supported
- Dual Bluetooth Connection
- Easy Preset EQ
- AUX input
- HDMI input
- Wired Remote connection
- Subwoofer Control
- JPEG Photo slider
- ONE year Warranty
DMH-1500NEX is compatible with all types of vehicle accessories. Some of them are listed below:
- iData-Link Maestro
- Backup Camera
- Dash Camera
- Sirius-XM XAV 300 tuner
- Steering Wheel Control
- USB and RCA Cables
- GPS Navigation Antenna and more.
After reading Amazon reviews, we found some people complain about so-called CD skipping. However, in our test, we didn’t find such a thing in this head unit.
The other thing we found in the review section is the problem that is caused by the hands-free calling mode. After the call ends, the stereo doesn’t go back. We also found this problem but it was easily fixed by updating its firmware which was recently rollout by a pioneer.
Pioneer DMH-1500 NEX Tips and Tricks
1. When navigating through the GUI, there is a strange drop down icon that shows you all of the main functions – this is different than other GUIs so it may take some getting used to.
2. The stereo follows what you do on your phone, so if you go from music to text, leave the app open in order for it to stay on the music screen.
3. When using navigation apps like Google or Apple Maps, the map can be moved with your fingers and you won’t have to start over when taking a call – but disconnecting your phone will cause you to lose your route.
4. There are three different “Now Playing” screens for music – one with a song name, artist, album name and clear disc art; a full-screen display with giant previous/play/pause/next icons along with the disc art faded into the background; and an unexpected third that is different from the others.
5. When using Facebook while connected to your head unit, it will stop playing whatever source you were listening to – however there are no rhyme or reason as to why this sometimes happens and why it doesn’t other times.
6. There is no “Radio Scan” button/function on the head unit, so you have to rely on the “Best Station Memory” feature which will find the six strongest stations in your area and put them as presets. There is also a “TuneScan” function that only works with Sirius/XM.
7. Lastly, if you switch sources or turn off the head unit while using an app like Google Maps, it may cause it to go to a different screen when you turn it back on. To avoid this, keep the app open for it to stay on the same screen when you start the car again.
Pioneer DMH-1500 NEX Problems
1. The strange drop-down icon to access the main functions is out of sync with the rest of the GUI.
2. It follows whatever you’re doing on your phone, which is distracting and can be inconvenient.
3. Maps only sometimes move with your fingers, making navigation difficult particularly when driving in motion or when a call interrupts.
4. There are three different ‘now playing’ screens, but no clear path from one to another, leading to confusion.
5. There needs to be a radio scan button or function, making it difficult for users to find stations in their area.
6. Opening FB while connected often causes the audio to stop playing.
7. The screen changes at random times, making it difficult to navigate the interface or operate functions.
8. YouTube doesn’t work with the stereo, despite the ability to do so.
9. The ‘Best Station Memory’ function is inadequate and does not replace a radio scan button.
10. The GPS is slow to respond and accuracy can be unreliable, leading to incorrect directions during navigation.
Here are some questions which were asked by people related to this multi-media receiver.
Does Pioneer DMH-1500NEX support Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto?
This head unit supports only wired CarPlay and Android Auto. The only reason for no wireless option is its low price. However, if you want a wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto head unit, you should check our list of Best Pioneer head units.
Is it worth it to buy Pioneer DMH-1500NEX in 2021?
For those eager to start using a large touchscreen or want the latest features like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, with a high-quality sound system, the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX is worth the purchase in 2021. Will be best for those whose budget is under 500 dollars.
Will, it fits in my Car?
DMH-1500NEX fits in any car which has a double din dashboard. However, if your car’s dashboard has a small space which is around 2 x 7-inch, you need to do some manual adjustments which can be done with the help of a local technician.
You can use GPS Navigation in the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX with the help of Built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through which, you can easily navigate via Apple Maps or Google Maps.
Does it compatible with iPhone or Android?
This double din radio is fully compatible with almost all phones, you can connect your phone with the receiver through a USB cable or wirelessly via Wi-Fi works great with the built-in WebLink feature.
Does it support a Backup Camera?
Yes, it does support the backup camera. The best backup camera for Pioneer DMH-1500nex is Pioneer ND-BC8. This camera is suggested by Crutchfield which is expensive but you can expect good quality video output from it.
How to update firmware for pioneer DMH-1500nex?
For firmware update, click the home button, then go to the system option, and then scroll down. You will find system information and simply click firmware info. Then you can check if the firmware needs an update or not.
What is WebLink?
Web-link is the pioneer official app in which users can take advantage of apps like YouTube, Zomato, and other apps that are installed on your phone, but if you want to use it in your car head unit, you need to download a web-link app from the AppStore or Playstore.
How to get the DMH-1500nex installation manual?
You can get the installation manual of this head unit from here, it’s in PDF format.
How do I play Youtube videos in Pioneer 1500NEX?
There are multiple ways to play YouTube videos, such as Apple Carplay, android auto, and web-link. To use these features, you need to connect your phone with the head unit or you use also Wi-Fi to wirelessly play YouTube with the Web-link
What does DMH stand for Pioneer?
DMH stands for Digital Media Receiver. These are those head units that come with a large touchscreen and the latest features like Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, and more…
When did Pioneer DMH-1500NEX release?
On the 16th of March 2019, Pioneer released this multimedia receiver which is getting more and more popular even in 2021.
Who Should Pioneer DMH-1500NEX?
- This head unit is best for those who want a Large touchscreen Display in their vehicle
- For those who want the latest features like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- This double din receiver should also be best for those whose budget is not so high
- And for those who want to use all the latest car accessories such as iDataLink Maestro, Dual Backup Camera, and more
Who Should not buy Pioneer DMH-1500NEX?
- Those people who want wireless Apple CarPlay stereo should avoid this unit.
- Those People who want a Built-in CD/DVD receiver should also this unit.
- Those People who want a built-in Garmin GPS Navigation stereo should also avoid this unit.
Many customers do complain about their stereo that this function is not working or it gets stuck while calling or their backup camera does not work but the key thing they miss is the installation. Many of them do the installation by themself and do the wrong wiring.
That’s why I will highly recommend doing the installation yourself only if you have the proper knowledge about installation otherwise leave this work for the expert or technician.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX can give you all the basic and advanced features at a price range of under 500 Dollars however, there are many other Pioneer models available in the market that give all the features that 1500nex have, but those units’ price is comparatively high.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX takes 10 seconds to fully boot up. The Bluetooth connection of this stereo is rock solid and the hands-free calling also works great. The drawback of this stereo is No HD video quality and No wireless CarPlay/ Mirror Link.
Good built quality, proper audio distribution, CarPlay, and solid Bluetooth connection make this unit the best multi-media receiver from other units and make it the best consideration for the future upgrade.
Related Posts –
I am Miles Walker, founder of CarAudioWise.com. I’m a car audio enthusiast who loves to help others learn about car audio and installation.
2 thoughts on “Pioneer DMH-1500NEX Review: Everything you need to know”
I am having issues with my DMH – 1500NEX PIONEER head unit.
1. The GPS navigation is not working anymore.
2. The Android Auto Play does not work anymore.
3. The USB connection does not work anymore.
The only features that work is the radio, the bluetooth and the hands free calling. I have tried to reset the unit as a possible solution but this has not worked. Can you offer any solution to the issues that I am having with my unit?
Here are some possible reasons why it might be with your head unit:
1. Blown Fuse
2. Radio is not receiving power
3. Bad connection
You can also asks Pioneer Customer Care for the help. Phone No. 1 (800) 421-1404
Or go to their official site: Pioneer Electronics Support USA