There are many reasons why a car enthusiast would want to install the best single DIN head unit in their car. Upgrading to a new aftermarket head unit can help you to get the sound quality in your car.
A single-DIN head unit is also a great way to reduce noise and ensure that your vehicle has a good sound system. Also, they’re not as bulky as double DIN head units, they can easily be installed in smaller spaces.
However, with so many different models available, it can be difficult to find the right and the best head unit for your car.
That’s why we had done some research on the market and created this list of best single DIN head units to give you a clear idea with pros and cons of each stereo.
We’re confident you won’t be disappointed if you pick one of these radios.
So, let’s take a look at the Our top Picks!
The 7 Best Single DIN Head Units in 2023 – Reviews
- #1. Alpine UTE-73BT – Overall Best Single DIN Head unit in 2023
- #2. Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX – Best Single DIN Touchscreen Head Unit
- #3. Sony DSX-GS80 – The Most Powerful Single DIN Head Unit
- #4. Pioneer SPH-10BT
- #5. Alpine CDE-172BT
- #6. BOSS Audio 616UAB – Cheapest Single DIN Head Unit
- #7. Sony DSX-A410BT – Best Budget head unit under $200
#1. Alpine UTE-73BT – Overall Best Single DIN Head unit in 2023
The Alpine’s UTE-73BT offer great sound quality with its built-in 24-Bit DAC, and amplifier which offer 200 watts peak power.
You can customize the sound quality with its built-in equalizer and low-pass/high-pass filters.
This head unit offer solid Bluetooth connection which help you to do wireless calling and wireless music streaming flawlessly.
- HIGH-CONTRAST LCD Screen – Alpine’s UTE-73BT comes with an LCD display that is easy to read even in direct sunlight. The physical Volume Knob helps to easily find the song you want, whether you’re listening to CDs or streaming music from your phone. And if a friend wants to join in on the fun, just plug in their media player using the front panel auxiliary input.
- Numerous Sound Customization features – This single din car stereo uses a 24-Bit DAC to deliver unparalleled high-quality sound. This unit also comes with a built-in 3 Band parametric EQ and high pass/low crossover that helps you to customize your sound system, while the ability to play FLAC files via USB.
- Bluetooth Calling Support – With its hands-free calling capabilities, you can take calls without having to fumble with your phone. You can also adjust the sound to get just the right balance for you. With Caller ID, you’ll always know who’s calling. Whether listening or taking a call on the UTE-73BT is easy to use.
- Easy to Stream Audio – You can stream music from any Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet. Whether you’re listening to music stored locally on your device, or streaming from a music service like iTunes Match or Spotify, the UTE-73BT provides easy access to all your tunes. Plus, with Android AOA 2.0 support, the UTE-73BT is compatible with even more devices.
- SWC Support – The Alpine UTE-73BT will make your car steering wheel controls a breeze. You can control all of the features on your phone with this handy little unit, and if you need to adjust the volume or skip tracks – just do it without taking off eye contact from the road!
- Compatible with iPhone, iPod – With the Alpine UTE-73BT car stereo, you can control your iPod or iPhone music right from the driver’s seat. The USB connection provides high-quality playback of your music library, so you can enjoy your favorite tunes while on the go.
- Pandora Support – Alpine’s UTE-73BT is the perfect way to control your Pandora experience. No matter which type of smartphone you have, this unit gives you direct access to all your favorite Pandora channels.
- The 24 Bit DAC and EQ can provide you the best sound quality experience.
- Quick and easy installation.
- Physical buttons and Volume knob feel solid.
- Great bang for your buck.
- No SiriusXM.
- Menu controls can be a bit tricky to navigate.
#2. Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX – Best Single DIN Touchscreen Head Unit
It is a premium and another best single DIN head unit which is perfect for those who needs a large touchscreen with CD/DVD player and latest features like CarPlay, Android Auto. and compatibility with HD backup camera and Parking Assist Guidelines.
- 6.94″ Flip Out Touchscreen Display – This powerful head unit features a 6.94″ touchscreen display that is highly responsive and easy to use. You’ll be able to control all your music and navigation from one central location, and the intuitive user interface makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Support Voice Control – This multimedia receiver offers a wealth of features and capabilities, all controllable by voice. With Vozsis and Weblink, you can easily add Alexa functionality to any compatible Pioneer in-dash receiver. Just tap and ask – Alexa will respond instantly, even while you’re on the go.
- Compatible with iPhone/Android – The AVH-3500 NEX is the perfect solution for drivers who want a car stereo with all the latest features. It features Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which gives you access to useful information and organizes it into simple cards that appear when they’re needed. This allows you to focus on the road ahead while keeping your favorite music or podcast playing in the background.
- Bluetooth Supported – This powerful car stereo features built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming, making it easy to access your music and calls without ever having to take your eyes off the road.
- Great Sound Quality – The AVH-3500 NEX is the perfect way to bring Pandora into your car. With great audio quality and a responsive touchscreen display, you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite new and old music alike while on the go. Easily thumbs up or down songs, bookmark tracks for purchase, and switch between stations with just a few taps.
- Sirius XM supported – With the AVH-3500NEX, you can get all of your favorite SiriusXM programmings without ever having to leave your car. This powerful receiver is SiriusXM-Ready, so you can enjoy more than 140 channels of Ads-free music, plus sports, comedy, news, and more.
- USB Support – It comes with direct connectivity to your iPhone via USB, so you can enjoy your music and videos while on the go. The touchscreen display makes it easy to see what’s playing, and song, artist, time, and album information are all beautifully displayed.
- Full Audio Customization – With features like Auto EQ and Time Alignment, 13-Band Graphic Equalizer, and more, you can fine-tune the sound to your exact specifications. Plus, with built-in FLAC playback capability, you can enjoy your favorite high-res audio files without having to convert them first. Kick back and enjoy the sounds of your own personalized car stereo!
- Responsive Touchscreen Display
- Suppport Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Compatible with Backup Camera as well as Parking Assist Guidelines
Takes less time to start
- Works with all iPhones and latest Android phones
- Bit Expensive
- Not Compatible with iDataLink Maestro
- Lacks HDMI slot
Related Article: 13 Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Unit & Stereos
#3. Sony DSX-GS80 – The Most Powerful Single DIN Head Unit
The Sony DSX-GS80 is a high-end single DIN head unit that offers superb sound quality and a variety of features.
It is the most powerful single din head unit dues to its built-in amp which offers 180 watts of continues power.
It comes with 5 Volt pre-outs, which helps to easily connect to your external speakers, subs and amp.
- Impressive Display – With a vibrant, colorful display that syncs up with the beat of your music, this head unit is sure to give you a unique and fun experience while on the road.
- Built-in High Power Amplifier – This powerful head unit packs a whopping 4 x 100 Watts of peak power and RMS of 4 x 45 Watts, making it more than capable of driving a subwoofer and full car speaker system simultaneously. And because it’s been optimized for excellence, you can expect clear, interference-free audio at any volume.
- Numerous Settings to Control the Sound Quality – This great head unit lets you easily control volume, balance, fader, and EQ settings from your smartphone with the Sony Music Center app. You can also use the app to customize your sound settings for even more control over your car audio experience. And with the Advanced Car Audio Setting plug-in, you can really dial in the perfect sound for your car.
- Voice control for Android – The built-in voice control feature gives you easy access to directions, messages, and your favorite tunes – all without ever having to take your hands off the wheel. Finally, the precision power block placement and high-quality components ensure that you’ll enjoy superior sound quality no matter where you go.
- Built-in Dynamic Stage Organizer – Thanks to Dynamic Stage Organizer technology, your music will sound like it’s coming from right in front of you, creating a virtual speaker system that will make every journey more enjoyable. And with three 5 V pre-outs, you can easily expand your system by adding external amplifiers and speakers. Whether you’re hitting the open road or stuck in traffic, the Sony DSX-GS80 Single DIN Head Unit will make sure you enjoy the ride.
- Rock Solid Bluetooth Connection – It can pair with one Bluetooth phone for access to navigation, music playback, and communication features. You can also connect a second phone for making and receiving hands-free calls. Plus, you’ll enjoy helpful smartphone features without taking your eyes off the road. The voice control feature lets you manage music, get real-time directions, and communicate with contacts—all via simple spoken commands. And the USB input lets you play music from your iPhone or iPod.
- The sound quality is excellent, with clear highs and deep bass
- Lots of features to customize the sound
- The unit also has a large, bright display that is easy to read.
- Installation of this head unit is quite simple
- Not a multiline display
- Bit Expensive than other car stereos
#4. Pioneer SPH-10BT
The SPH-10BT is among the many ‘new-gen’ single-DIN digital-media receivers Pioneer has released since 2020.
The first thing you’ll notice in this head unit is its simple design. You get a small-sized display at the front, with three buttons on either side. These buttons perform different functions, such as music source selection, navigation, messaging, voice assistant launch, etc.
These buttons are large, so you can use them even while driving.
Since it’s a digital media receiver, there’s no AUX port and CD/DVD playback. But you can still use other sources, such as Bluetooth, FM radio, and the USB port. I recommend the latter as it allows you to play lossless formats like the FLAC and WMA.
Another feature that differentiates it from the past Pioneer single-DIN radios is a smartphone cradle at the top. You can put a phone on this cradle, link it with the head unit via the Pioneer Smart Sync app, and then essentially use it as an extra screen for functions like navigation, sound customization, music streaming, reply to your phone message through voice, etc.
You can use either the USB or Bluetooth for the Smart Sync app, depending on your preferences.
You also get a 31-band EQ, HPF/LPF crossover points, balance/fader, and time alignment for sound customization. I particularly liked time alignment, as it allows you to arrange all these speakers in such a way that their sounds arrive simultaneously to you (driver).
One main caveat of the cradle is that you must remove the faceplate and pull it out – before putting the faceplate back.
- Modern looks
- The built-in Smart Sync app gives you many Android Auto/CarPlay features at a cheaper price.
- The smartphone cradle doesn’t feel to be flimsy.
- Slightly expensive if you’re not going to link up your phone.
- No volume knob. You’ll have to rely on volume up/down buttons.
#5. Alpine CDE-172BT
- Rock Solid Bluetooth Connection – The CDE-172BT is perfect for anyone who wants the convenience of Bluetooth in their car. With built-in Bluetooth, you can make and receive calls from either of two paired phones, and the included microphone reduces noise interference so your callers can hear you loud and clear. Plus, with this receiver’s built-in sound processing, you’ll get the best sound quality from your streaming music apps or podcasts.
- High Contrast LCD Display with built-in Volume Knob – This model includes variable color illumination, so you can choose the perfect accent color for your car’s interior. The high-contrast LCD display ensures that the screen is always easy to read, even in direct sunlight. Also, this unit comes equipped with Alpine’s signature rotary knob, making it a breeze to control all your music. The front panel auxiliary input allows you or your passenger to plug in a portable media player for even more listening options. Plus, with Alpine quality construction, this stereo will provide years of listening enjoyment.
- Best Sound Quality Experience – This car stereo features 24-Bit DAC playback for superior sound quality, plus a three-band parametric EQ so you can fine-tune your music to your liking. The high pass/low pass crossover lets you manage the frequencies coming from your speakers, making it the perfect stereo for advanced upgrades or replacements.
- Three 4V preamp outs – this stereo is great for building even better sound systems. You can also add the KTP-445A Power Pack amplifier to increase its RMS power from 18 watts x 4 to 45 watts x 4 RMS. This is CEA2006 rated and will give an instantly noticeable upgrade in sound quality for any music lover!
- Sirius XM and Pandora Supported – This receiver features built-in SiriusXM and Pandora capabilities, so you can enjoy your favorite stations and playlists no matter where you go. Plus, the App Direct mode allows you to control and display information from other music apps on your receiver’s screen. The CDE-172BT also includes an AM/FM tuner so you can listen to your favorite radio stations on the go.
- Compatible with Steering Wheel Control – With the Alpine CDE-172BT Car Stereo, you can control all of your music and audio settings right from your steering wheel. This stereo is also compatible with the RUE-4202 Wireless Remote Control, so you can easily change your music options without ever having to take your eyes off the road.
- You can choose between several colors for the lights, and the display will dim when your headlights are turned on
- Bluetooth works great for both hands free calling and audio streaming
- The installation is quite easy and takes less time compared to other unit
- The display is difficult to read when it’s in direct sunlight.
- Remote controls are not included
Related Post – How much does It Cost To Install A Car Stereo (2023 Updated)
#6. BOSS Audio 616UAB – Cheapest Single DIN Head Unit
- LCD Display – This updated model includes Dimmable Illumination for Buttons and LCD Display, Updated Dancing LED lights, and Added Mute Function. Whether you’re looking to light up your night with some dazzling LEDs or take your music-listening experience to the next level, this unit has got you covered. So grab yourself a 616UAB and see what all the fuss is about!
- Bluetooth Calling Support – The BOSS Audio Systems 616UAB car stereo is the perfect way to keep yourself entertained on your next road trip. With Bluetooth and USB support, you can easily play your favorite music straight from your phone or laptop. The AM/FM radio tuner also lets you stay up-to-date on the latest news, sports, and more.
- AUX – The auxiliary input is perfect for hooking up your MP3 player, while the USB port provides access to a huge library of audio files. The advanced Bluetooth profile support allows you to stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. And with the built-in microphone, you can make calls hands-free.
- Impressive design – The mech-less design means there’s no CD or DVD required, so you can just plug in your USB drive or SD card and get listening. With Bluetooth capabilities, you can even control the tunes from your smartphone or another device.
- This unit is inexpensive compared to any other single din radios
- Front USB and AUX port
- Built-in Physical Volume Knob
- Super Easy to install
- Low Quality Display
- Microphone quality is not that great
#7. Sony DSX-A410BT – Best Budget head unit under $200
- Dual Bluetooth Connection – Sony’s DSX-A410BT features Dual Bluetooth connectivity, so you can easily connect two smartphones at once. This way, you can keep in touch with contacts while driving, listen to music or get directions from your first phone, and make hands-free calls from your second phone.
- Built-in 10-Band Equalizer – The Sony DSX-A410BT gives you total control over your sound. With its 10-band digital equalizer, you can customize the sound to match your personal taste. Plus, the new karaoke mode ensures that vocal tracks are quieted so you can sing along without any distractions. Whether you’re an audiophile or just looking for a little more versatility in your music listening, the Sony DSX-A410BT is sure to please.
- USB input support for both iPhone and Android – This single din head unit lets you play music from your iPhone or iPod with ease. The USB input allows for quick and easy playback, so you can control your music while seeing track information on the display. The professional tone of voice makes this product sound like a must-have for any music lover.
- Built-in High-power amplifier – With its four-channel amplifier and Extra Bass technology, the Sony DSX-A410BT gives you rich, clear sound that’s perfect for any music lover. Whether you’re blasting your favorite songs at full volume or taking your time to appreciate a quiet ballad, this stereo has got you covered. And with FLAC compatibility, you can enjoy even the most subtle notes and nuances of your favorite tracks.
- Easy-to-read Display – This Single Din Stereo is perfect for anyone who wants an easy-to-read screen. With its high contrast and optimized viewing angle, you’ll be able to see everything on the display clearly, whether you’re sitting up close or way in the back. Plus, it comes with all the features you need to get the most out of your music.
- Voice Control support for both iOS and Android – The Sony DSX-A410BT gives you voice control for your Android smartphone, making it easy to get directions, send messages and play tracks. Plus, when you connect your iOS device, you can use Siri Eyes Free to control the music in it.
- Easy to install due to its shallow chassis design
- The Bluetooth connects with the phone very quickly
- The built-in equalizer works great
- Comes with high power built-in amplifier which can saves your money for additional add on
- Dual Bluetooth Connection
- Comes with free with Earbuds
- No User Manual Comes in the box of the unit
- Doesn’t support CDs/DVD
Buying Guide: Things to Consider Before Buying Single DIN Head Unit
When shopping for the best single din head unit, there are a few thing to consider. Here’s an overview of what matters most!
If you’re not familiar with power ratings, wattage is simply a measurement of electrical potential. This is the amount of energy that can be converted into work (such as turning your speakers). Higher power ratings mean more horsepower to push your speakers beyond their ordinary limits.
Power handling matters – but only to an extent. Many manufacturers inflate power ratings to make their products sound more impressive than they really are.
Most amplifiers can handle about twice as much power as their rated output, so it’s not necessary to purchase an amplifier that uses more power than your head unit is capable of delivering.
Pro Tip: If you’re considering a head unit with a low power rating, be sure to look at the power specifications for the amp(s) you’ll be using. The amplifier’s power rating should be higher than what your head unit is capable of delivering!
With all that in mind, a simple rule of thumb is: Higher power ratings = less distortion and more room to grow.
- Related – How Many Watts is Good For a Car Stereo?
Most head units offer at least two ways to play music. USB drive playback is the most popular, but some head units also have CD players and even cassette drives. If your vehicle doesn’t come with a built-in Bluetooth system, you’ll need to connect an external one using Bluetooth connectivity.
With smartphone compatibility, you can stream music from apps like Spotify or Pandora (with internet connection). This means more sources for your music, on top of whatever is stored on your phone or USB flash drive!
Better Sound Control options
Higher-end receivers come with precision sound controls like digital time correction and parametric equalization to really tweak your tunes. But even lower priced aftermarket stereos will offer more audio control than what you typically find in a factory radio!
It’s not always easy to judge a brand’s quality, but there are big differences in the manufacturing process. Some brands put more care into component selection and production processes. This can be reflected in both build quality and sound quality.
A good single din head unit will have high-quality components that accurately convert electrical signals into sound.
The most important component in a head unit is the digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Without a high-quality DAC, your music won’t sound good no matter how much power you have behind it.
There are lots of additional features you’ll find; built-in amplifiers (BRT), noise and distortion canceling systems, Hi/Lo-pass filters and electronic crossovers for clean separation of frequencies, built in RDS or other tuners.
That’s it our list for the best single din head units! We hope you found this list helpful and that it will make your decision-making process a little bit easier. Remember to consider what features are important to you and which one of these models fits those needs the best. If you have any questions or need more help deciding, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.