(Image Credit: Quality Mobile Video)
There are more than 125 Pioneer head units, currently available in the market.
That’s why we have created this post, were we have only picked the top 8 of the best Pioneer car stereo.
In this List, we have included main three types:
- Double Din Touchscreen
- Single Din Touchscreen
- Single Din without touchscreen
We’ve gathered all the best models so you can find the perfect one for your needs. We spend five weeks testing 8 of the best Pioneer car stereos available in 2023.
We’ll also discuss some of the pros and cons of each stereo. So, if you’re looking to buy a new Pioneer car stereo, be sure to read this blog post!
Best Pioneer Car Stereos – (2023 Reviews)
Here we have reviewed our top 8 picks with pros and cons!
1. Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX – The Overall Best Pioneer Touchscreen Stereo
- The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is a great car stereo for people who are looking for a large and responsive touchscreen with a bright and colorful display.
- It also has great audio quality with its built-in 13-band equalizer. Additionally, it is easy to install due to its shallow chassis design.
- Another great feature of this stereo is that it supports Wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto, which makes it super easy to use.
Both the Wireless Carplay and Android auto-connect quickly and work flawlessly.
It comes with a 7-Inch responsive touch screen display with a motorized CD/DVD player. The display is clear, sharp, and comes with numerous customizable options available than any other stereo.
The display brightness is automatically adjusted for day and night. When the headlight is turned on the brightness of the display auto-decreases which helps to avoid unnecessary light on your face.
Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX lets you stream music from Pandora or Spotify and allows Hands free-calling wirelessly or via directly connecting your phone with the receiver.
You use GPS Navigation through Carplay with many apps like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or via Waze but it needs an internet connection or Wi-Fi.
In the box, you will get a full installation kit which includes high-quality mic that helps to use Siri Eyes Free and Google assistant, wiring harness, USB-C to USB-A adapter,
While using Siri Eyes Free or other phone assistants, it makes it very easy to play and change music from Pandora and Spotify as it is not required to touch the display, you can give directions through our voice command.
- Model: Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
- 7” Capacitive Touchscreen Display
- Built-in HD Radio
- 800 x 480 WVGA Resolution
- Customizable Display Buttons
- Support Auto EQ and Time Alignment
- Built-in Bluetooth with Secure Simple Pairing
- Power Peak 200 Watts/ RMS: 4 x 14 Watts
- 6 Channel Preamp RCA Outputs(4 volt)
- Input: 2 Rear USB, 2 Rear AUX, A/V or 2nd Camera
- Dual Backup Camera Connection
- Compatible with SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Compatible with Steering Wheel Control
- Compatible with iDataLink Maestro
- Support up to 192 kHz/24-bit WAV and FLAC
- Other Formats: AAC, DSD Audio Playback (Hi-Res)
- MP3, WMA, .avi, mpg, mpeg, divx , mp4, m4v
- Compatible with GPS Antenna, external AMP and Headrest monitors
- 12 Months Warranty Coverage
Pros and Cons
- Large and responsive touchscreen display
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto makes the work fast and handy for daily use
- Highly customizable Display options to change colors, background, you can also set any photo as a background image for the home screen
- Dual Bluetooth Connection for connecting two phones in one time
- Simple and easy to use interface
- Support High resolution files like FLAC
- No physical volume knob and buttons
- No CD/DVD Player, you can below other head units if you want.
- There is no built-in navigation system available. But you can check below Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX which is the best pioneer stereo that comes with a built-in navigation feature.
2. SPH-10BT – Pioneer’s Best Single Din Stereo
- The Pioneer SPH-10BT is a great single din Car Stereo that provides plenty of features such as Bluetooth, Navigation, Voice recognition, Backup Camera sensors, Smart Phone integration and 13 Band Equalizer.
- It has easy to use connectivity and customization options with an affordable price tag. However, the USB input is not placed well and there is no backup camera input. Overall, it provides excellent audio quality and good call quality for a great user experience.
The Second Best Pioneer Car Stereo in list is the SPH-10BT.
This head unit is specially designed for single din dashboard, but the best thing about this radio, is its smart sync feature which allows you to connect your phone with the receiver in which you can use all the features like Bluetooth, Navigation, listening radio, podcasts all can be done directly connecting the phone to radio via smart sync app.
There are two ways to connect the phone with the receiver, wirelessly through smart syncs or via USB cable. However, with USB the audio quality improves quite a lot.
You can directly use all the features of this radio even without connecting to your phone. Multiple buttons have been given in this head unit where you change the menu, play music, change volume, power button, Bluetooth calling buttons, Voice recognition button, and message buttons.
To use Navigation in this unit, you need to connect your phone with stereo via smart sync app which you can download from AppStore or play store.
With the built-in navigation Icon, you can use the navigation system. You just need to click the navigation icon then a preset navigation app loads quickly.
In the box of SPH-10BT, you will get a full installation kit which includes a wiring harness, microphone with connector, screws, faceplate, tape, trim ring, warranty card installation, and a quick start guide.
- Model: SPH-10BT
- Single Din with Smart Phone integration
- Built-in Bluetooth feature with BT Button
- 10 Level Brightness Control
- Customizable Display with thousands option
- 13 Band Equalizer which can be extended up to 31 bands through smart sync app
- Built-in Alexa and iPhone Control
- Built-in Backup Camera sensors
- Support Android Music
- Built-in tuner with 18 FM and 6 AM
- Support high-resolution files like FLAC
- Support multiple formats like MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC
- 24 Bit DA Convert with 200 watts power peak
- Four-Channel Preamp Output
- 12 Months Warranty with 60 Days money-back
Pros and Cons
- Easy to connect and Simple UI
- Great Audio and Call Quality
- Multiple Buttons are available such as BT, message, menu, music which are quite useful while driving.
- A lot of features available to customize the audio styles
- Available at an affordable price
- There is no Backup Camera input however, you can use a wireless backup camera that can be connected easily to your phone
- The USB input is not placed well as it is tough to connect the cable to the USB port
- The built-in faceplate might not detach easily
3. Pioneer AVH-2500NEX – Best DVD Touchscreen Head Unit
- The Pioneer AVH-2500NEX is a 6.9-inch touchscreen head unit with a CD/DVD Player, built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Bluetooth for wireless calls and music streaming, an amplifier with 200 watts of power output, customizable display colors, 13 band graphic EQ and 7 preset EQ curves.
- It also includes a rear USB/Aux input, backup camera input and 1-year warranty. Customers are satisfied with the display quality and audio clarity of this head unit. However, there is no wireless CarPlay and the mirror link does not work properly.
The first best Pioneer touchscreen stereo on our list is the AVH-2500NEX. This head unit comes with a large 6.9-inch VGS touchscreen display with a built-in CD/DVD Player.
The key feature of this stereo is the built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Wireless Calling and wireless music streaming are also possible due to built-in Bluetooth features which allow you to connect two devices at a time and take every time to connect.
The audio is clear and loud due to its built-in amplifier which has a power output of 200 watts. The built-in equalizer is also given in this head unit which helps to enjoy various audio tracks. You can even play high-resolution audio files like FLAC in this unit.
The Pioneer AVH-2500NEX is compatible with all other car accessories such as a Backup Camera, Sirius XM, Steering wheel control (SWC), iDatalink Maestro, and more.
In this double din stereo box, you will get a wiring harness, USB Cable, a good quality microphone, screws, installation guide, warranty card, and some other basic things.
- Display Size: 6.8” VGA with CD/DVD Player
- Customizable display with 5 Display Color/112 key Color
- 13 Band Graphic EQ
- 7 Preset EQ Curves
- Built-in HD Radio tuner
- Power Peak: 4 x 50 watts
- RMS: 4 x 14 watts
- Rear USB/Aux input
- Backup Camera input
- 6 Channel Preamp Output
- 1 Year Warranty
Pros and Cons
- The display quality is good also, you can decrease or increase the brightness of the screen
- Built-in CD/DVD support high-resolution files
- Clear Audio Quality
- Bluetooth works flawlessly and has a pretty strong connection
- No wireless CarPlay
- The mirror link does not work properly
4. Pioneer AVH-3400NEX – Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Unit
- The Pioneer AVH-3400NEX is a great single din head unit that offers many features like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and more.
- It has an impressive design that fits easily in any type of dashboard and provides high quality audio.
This head unit is best for those people whose car has a single din dashboard. It comes with a motorized 7” display giving the same look as the double din stereos.
Pioneer AVH-3400NEX is easy to operate and comes with a large volume knob and good quality buttons available at the bottom of the display.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available on this radio but you need to connect your phone with the receiver through a USB cable to use the CarPlay or Android Auto feature. Pandora and Spotify work wireless with which you can enjoy high-quality music which can be compatible with iPhone as well as Android.
This head unit can be installed in any type of car, also the installation is not complicated, however, it was recommended to install this head unit by a technician.
- Model: AVH-3400NEX
- Display: 7” Motorized Flip Out
- CD/DVD Player built-in
- Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto
- Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- A built-in amplifier having a power peak of 200 Watts
- And RMS of 56 Watts max
- Support high-resolution FLAC files
- Support SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- USB input, Backup Camera input
- 6 Channel Preamp Output
- 12 Months Warranty included
Pros and Cons
- Impressive design and fits easily in any type of dashboard
- Great audio quality
- Support direct control for all iPhone and Android devices
- A Full installation kit is given in the box of this unit.
- The flip-out display extends over 4” which might blocks the buttons available at the top of the stereo
5. Pioneer DMH-1500NEX – Another Great Option under $500
If you have money and are willing to spend it on a head unit that will meet your needs then you need to look at the new DMH-1500NEX.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX comes with a 7” LCD touch screen that is capacitive which means you don’t need to apply pressure on the screen to change the menu or anything on this unit.
DMH-1500NEX multimedia Receiver will keep your focus on the road thanks to its safety features and Apple CarPlay or Android Auto compatibility.
You can also enjoy navigation provided by Google Maps with voice commands leveraging Google Assistant technology on your smartphone!
You can play many audio files in this double din such as MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC which has a range of 192kHz or 24-bit with auto equalizer mode.
A lot of people have appreciated this head unit for its display quality, crystal clear audio, and advanced features like Apple CarPlay. The only thing this head unit lacks is the wireless Carplay and a CD/DVD player. Besides this, We definitely recommend it!
In the box of Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, you will get a Double din receiver, wiring harness for the installation, high-quality mic, 58” USB Cable, screws, warranty, and installation guide
- Big 7inch touchscreen display
- Built-in 13 Band adjustable graphic equalizer
- Power Peak: 200 Watts
- RMS: 4 x 14 Watts
- Dual Bluetooth Connection for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming
- 6 Channel preamp output for video and audio
- Built-in Radio having 18 FM and 6 AM channels
- Rear USB, AUX, HDMI, and Backup Camera input
- Subwoofer Control Option
- Direct USB Control for iOS and Android devices
- Warranty: 12 Months included
Pros and Cons
- Responsive and large 7inch touchscreen with useful volume and menu buttons present at bottom of the display
- Clear and loud audio quality
- Hands-free Calling works great, thanks to its good quality mic which is given with this head unit
- Strong Bluetooth Connection
- Wireless music streaming via Spotify and Pandora
- No Built-in CD/DVD Player
- No Wireless CarPlay
- No Built-in HD Radio
6. Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX – The Best GPS Navigation Head Unit
This Double Din Stereo is undoubtedly the most expensive head unit compared to any other Pioneer radio. The main reason is the Built-in GPS Navigation which includes 12.4 million points of interest and Wireless CarPlay Features which most others don’t provide.
The display size of this unit is 6.95 inch which is capacitive and better than the AVIC-W8400NEX, in which you can use the multi-touch feature which allows you to zoom maps and many other apps.
You can change the wallpaper of the home screen to set any picture you want. With its built-in CD/DVD player you can play video at a good quality.
You can directly connect your iPhone or Android to play Videos or music. Other than that there is a wireless option so that you can play videos wirelessly through WebLink which requires Wi-Fi.
The Pioneer’s built-in navigation feature contains many other features like speed limit, compass, altitude, showing freeways, headings, and real-time traffic reports.
- Model: Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- 7-inch Capacitive Touchscreen
- Built-in CD/DVD Player
- Built-in Pioneer’s GPS Navigation
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and HD Radio
- Power Peak (4 x 14 | RMS: 4 x 50) Watts
- 13 Band Graphic Equalizer with Auto EQ
- Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto
- High Res- FLAC Supported
- Time Alignment Feature
- SiriusXM SAV-300 tuner SWC
- iDatalink Maestro Ready
- Dual AV Output
- Compatible with Backup Camera
- Input: 1 HDMI REAR, 2 USB REAR
- Six Channels preamp Output for Subwoofers
- 1-Year Warranty
Pros and Cons
- Capacitive Touchscreen for the multi-touch
- The built-in offline Navigation system
- Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto
- Simple interface and easy to use
- Multiple sources to play video and audio such as CD/DVD player, Aux, USB, SD Card even wirelessly via Wi-Fi through Mirror Link
- Anti-theft password protection
- Super Expensive, however, we have listed its best budget alternative at the end of the list
- Installation takes time
- No Volume Knob
7. DMH 220EX – Pioneer’s Cheapest Touchscreen Head Unit
Quick Review: This is probably Pioneer’s cheapest double din head unit which you can buy for under 250 dollars.
This double din stereo comes with a 6.2-inch clear resistive display which is not too big compared to other models of the pioneer.
There are limited options to play videos in the unit such as via USB, AUX, or through an SD card. You can also connect a backup camera with this radio but it isn’t included in this unit.
The audio and video quality is the same as the other unit of Pioneer, and you can also play video directly connecting your phone with the receiver.
- Model: Pioneer DMH220EX
- Display Size: 6.2-inch WVGA Touchscreen
- Power Output: 200 Watts max.
- Built-in Bluetooth
- Direct USB Control for iPhone
- Pandora and Spotify Control
- Compatible with both iOS and android
- 4 Channel preamp output
- Many formats are supported such as MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, MP4, MPEG, and more.
- USB, Aux, and Backup Camera input
- 12 Months Warranty included
Pros and Cons
- Available at the lowest price compared to other double din radios
- Crispy and Clear Sound Quality
- The installation is quite simple
- Customizable color, theme, and background
- Support Radio, Aux, USB, and Bluetooth
- Limited Features
- No CarPlay or Android Auto
8. Avic-5201NEX: Pioneer’s Cheapest GPS Navigation Head Unit
Quick Review: This head unit is the best and cheapest alternative to AVIC-W8600NEX which is available at less than half price compared to that model. You will also get 90 days refund policy with this head unit which you will not find with any other models.
This double din radio has identical features except for the wireless CarPlay and Android Auto and Capacitive touchscreen.
It comes with a 6.2-inch WVGA display which is anti-glare helps to use it in bright light. There are several customizable options available to change its display button color, background images, and many more.
All other features like Bluetooth, Hands-free Calling, Wired Android Auto, CarPlay, work great.
- Model: Avic-5201NEX
- 6.2” Anti-Glare Display
- In-Built CD/DVD Player
- In-Built-in Navigation system
- 800 x 480 Resolution
- 200 watts Power Output
- 56 watts RMS max.
- 13 Band equalizer
- Bluetooth/Hands-Free Profile
- Siri Eyes Free Compatible
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Input : 2 USB, Rear AUX, SD Card Reader
- Backup Camera input,
- 1 Year of Warranty with 90 Days Refund Policy
Pros and Cons
- GPS Navigation works exactly like AVIC-W8600NEX
- Great Audio Quality and offers many customizable options such as 13 Band EQ
- Works Well with Siri Eyes Free as well as for hands-free calling
- The Bluetooth take few seconds to connect with the phone and gives a strong connection
- Support all types of stereo accessories such as iDataLink Maestro, SWC, Backup Camera, and many more.
- The screen size is pretty decent
- Lower resolution also the touch response is not too effective compared to other units
Buying Guide: What to Look For in a Pioneer Car Stereo
When shopping for a new car stereo, there are many things to consider. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. Here’s a guide to help you choose the perfect Pioneer car stereo for your needs.
When it comes to Pioneer car stereos, you have a few different screen size options. You can choose from a 6-inch, 7-inch, or 9-inch screen, 10.1-inch screen. The larger the screen, the more information you’ll be able to see. But keep in mind that a larger screen will also take up more space in your car.
Double din or Single Din
The first thing you’ll need to decide is whether you want a double din or single din car stereo. Double din car stereos are larger and offer more features, but they can be more expensive. Single din car stereos are smaller and less expensive, but they don’t offer as many features.
What Features Do You Want?
Next, you’ll need to decide what features you want in your car stereo. Pioneer offers a wide variety of features, so you’ll need to narrow down your choices. Some of the most popular features include Bluetooth connectivity, built-in GPS, and hands-free calling.
You’ll also want to consider the power peak of your car stereo. Pioneer car stereos range from 50 watts to 200 watts. The higher the power peak, the louder your car stereo will be.
Another important consideration is connectivity. You’ll want to make sure your car stereo has the right connections for your needs. For example, if you want to use Bluetooth, you’ll need to make sure your car stereo has Bluetooth connectivity.
Wired vs Wireless CarPlay
Pioneer offers both wired and wireless CarPlay options in its stereos. If you want the easiest installation, go with a wired CarPlay stereo. But if you want the freedom to move your iPhone around, go with a wireless CarPlay stereo. However, Wireless CarPlay Head units are more expensive than wired one.
Finally, you’ll need to consider price. Pioneer car stereos range in price from $100 to $1,000. You’ll need to decide how much you’re willing to spend on your new car stereo.
How we Picked these Pioneer Car Stereos
To find the best Pioneer car stereo for your needs, we started by taking a look at what other reviewers had to say. We read through dozens of reviews from sites like CNET, PCMag, Crutchfield, and Amazon to get a sense of what experts and users thought of the most popular models on the market. We also looked at Pioneer’s own website to see what features each stereo offered.
Once we had a good understanding of the Pioneer car stereos available, we narrowed our focus to a few key factors: sound quality, ease of use, and price. We wanted to find a stereo that would deliver great sound without breaking the bank. We also wanted something that was easy to use, even for those who aren’t car audio experts.
After taking all of these factors into consideration, we came up with a list of the best Pioneer car stereos on the market. Whether you’re looking for the best bang for your buck or the stereo with the most features, there’s a Pioneer car stereo on this list that’s perfect for you.
Which is the best Pioneer touchscreen stereo?
In our opinion, the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is currently the latest and the best head unit in 2023. It has Wireless Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth connectivity, HD Radio, SiriusXM compatibility, and Pandora integration.
Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX features a 7-inch touchscreen with highly responsive pinch to zoom operation for complete song control. The unit includes DPLIIL preamp level control so you can balance the output of your aftermarket receiver or amp better to accommodate different speakers.
It also supports Bluetooth handsfree kit, external media players that are compatible with IOS devices through Apple CarPlay support, SiriusXM through plug and plays Sirius XM satellite radio tuner module, as well as Pandora universal app compatibility for iPhone users.
What is the difference between RMS and Power Peak?
The main difference between RMS and Power Peak is that RMS is the average power of a signal whereas Power Peak is the maximum power of a signal.
RMS stands for Root Mean Square and is a way of representing the average power of a signal. Power peak, on the other hand, is the maximum power of a signal. The main difference between these two measures is that RMS takes into account all parts of the signal while power peak only looks at the loudest part of the signal.
This means that RMS is a better measure of the overall power of a signal. Power peak is still a useful measure, however, as it can give you an idea of the maximum power that a signal can reach.
What is the difference between DMH and AVH?
The AVH head units support Compact Discs and DVDs, they also support playback of audio discs such as CD music. DMH’s (Digital Media Receiver) doesn’t support CD/DVD playback and only supports MP3 format for audio recording.
AVH: Audio disk formats: CD, DVD, VCD; Video disk formats: DVD
DMH: Format for audio recording: MP3
Which is better single DIN or double DIN?
Double din units are by 4 by 8 inches while single din units are 2 by 8 inches, which is why double din units take up more space on your dashboard.
In terms of audio quality, both are the same. When it comes to features, double din always wins.
For me, it came down to aesthetics and less visibility with a double din unit. When it comes to things I am not very knowledgeable about I tend to go with what looks best rather than what is most technologically advanced because an attractive looking piece of equipment will always be more pleasant to have in your vehicle all 12 hours you spend driving every day rather than some boxy droning thing that no matter how fancy-looking will never be as appealing as something that reflects taste and sophistication.
Is Pioneer a good stereo system?
Pioneer is one the most reliable manufacturer in the world of car audio. Pioneer has a long history of developing fine audio equipment because, after all, their founder loved music and wanted to share it with as many people as possible.
In the 1950s he founded his company professional sound company called Pioneer Electronics – later shortened simply to “Pioneer”.
In 1959 they expanded into office machines and greenhouses. The 1960s brought TV receivers and then in 1962 televisions became greenhouses’ product focus where we remained until we sold our first speaker system in 1970.
Continuing on through the 1970s and 1980s Pioneer always had a reputation for making solid quality audio components including turntables and car stereo head units among other things.
Most of the Pioneer head units we have listed are for the double din dashboard makes it’s handy for daily use. Double Din Head Units mostly come with a large touchscreen with the latest features like CarPlay, Bluetooth which are nowadays very trendy and helpful. That’s we have listed mostly these touchscreen stereos.
All the head unit performs according to their price as a general rule of thumb in this industry, the more you pay the better quality you get from display to audio to features.
These head units are mainly set according to the different budgets however if you want a decent Pioneer head unit with a DVD player we will suggest going with Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX as it is not too costly and covers mostly all features.
Related Article –